Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) are the joints responsible for allowing you to chew, swallow, and speak, and they connect your lower jaw, or mandible, to your skull. When the joints or muscles become sore or painful, they can cause debilitating headaches, difficulties with speech, and problems chewing. If the system of muscles, ligaments, and joints becomes disrupted or painful, you may have temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD). For expert TMJ pain treatment, visit Chicago’s leading dentist, Dr. Ema.
Symptoms of TMJ disorders:
- Jaw pain
- Jaw stiffness
- Locking jaw
- Popping or clicking jaw
- Pain when opening or closing mouth
- Painful chewing
- Inability to line up jaw properly
- Tired facial muscles
Causes of TMJ disorders:
- Jaw alignment
Dr. Ema at Printers Row Dental Studio will perform a thorough examination of your joints and muscles to determine whether you have any popping, difficulties with mobility, or tenderness. If you are diagnosed with TMJ disorder, Dr. Ema will work closely with you to develop a comprehensive, personalized treatment plan centered around treating your pain and treating the root cause of your TMD.
Oral treatments for TMJ disorders:
Reliving your pain from TMD is our primary focus in the course of your treatment.
- Night guards: Night guards can help you avoid clenching or grinding your teeth while you sleep, so your muscles can experience relief from the extra tension of clenching.
- Occlusal splint: An occlusal splint is worn over your teeth like a mouthguard, and has the ability to make changes to your bite, so you can experience relief from your TMJ pain. Unlike other types of mouthguards, occlusal splints are made of acrylic.
- Botox®: We can use Botox® to help treat TMJ pain.